To nurture and enhance the development of the ‘whole’* child from birth through grade 8 through effective, high quality, comprehensive, seamless and respectful 21st century experiences, while supporting and enriching the whole family.
* refers to all facets of the child’s being including cognitive/intellectual, physical, social-emotional, cultural and creative aspects.
At World Academy, our focus is on providing families with a continuum of year-round quality education, care and recreation for children six weeks of age through Grade 8. This includes developmentally appropriate classes focusing on literacy, character, multiculturalism, enrichment and individualized learning. Our school is an accredited, licensed, independent and developmentally appropriate program for children of all ages for childcare, pre-school, elementary, and summer camp.
We accomplish our mission through an in-depth, quality curriculum, small classes, inspired staff, and a focus on excellence in education, student empowerment, diversity, values and the attainment of conflict resolution and negotiation skills.
In October of 1980, Kathy and Gary Nelson opened the Small World Learning Center on Daniel Webster Highway in South Nashua to serve the child care and education needs of thirty-eight 3 to 5 year olds. World Academy’s core values are the foundation of our priorities and serve to hold us accountable to ourselves and our community. We believe that:
- All students can learn and deserve the best opportunities our ‘World’ can offer.
- People are of the highest value.
- Each child has the right to develop at his/her own rate and to have challenging, progressive, enriched appropriate experiences to foster a love of lifelong learning.
- Early experiences and learning are fundamental and vital to future brain development.
- One of the best ways to support children is to support families.
- All age levels deserve an appropriate, challenging and comprehensive curriculum that addresses all aspects of the ‘whole child.’
- A dynamic, balanced education provides students with the tools, confidence and motivation to excel in the face of challenge.
- A well rounded education balances the academic, socio-emotional, cognitive-intellectual, developmental, physical, cultural and creative aspects while accounting for unique student talents and abilities.
- The mastery of skills integrated with higher level thinking are essential elements of education and high expectations influence performance.
- A multi cultural environment enables a broader world view and affords students the opportunity to develop an understanding of pluralism, diversity and tolerance, while it enriches our school, community and society.
- A nurturing and collaborative learning environment, climate and culture provides students with a sense of belonging and individual worth, encourages mutual respect, fosters character development, and enhances learning.
- Social groups provide a child with an opportunity to learn democratic living by sharing, making choices and learning independence by analyzing, controlling and reacting to stimuli and situations.
- Education is a responsibility shared among students, parents, teachers, administration and community and the key to sustaining a quality school is collaboration and assessment by all.
- Participatory long term planning processes that involve all constituents promote the best use of all resources and support sustainability.
- Assessment of achievements and goals and rapidly changing technologies will impact ongoing structures and processes of education.
- All individuals at school are expected to model respect, trustworthiness, fairness, kindness, citizenship and ethical behavior.
- Essential to an effective, high quality education is a professional, knowledgeable, well-trained, student-focused staff.
- Effective teaching and information delivery systems promote the desire to learn which fosters successful life long learning.
- All constituents deserve to be safe and secure in the school environment.
- 21st century skills are vital for success in the ever-changing global future.