Four Year Olds
Ready for More!
The Preschool Fours Program at World Academy is a year round, full day program with the option to bring your child 2 to 5 days per week. Child to teacher ratios are 11:1, with a maximum class size of twenty-two. The Preschool Fours Program at World Academy is as diverse in scope as the children enrolled in the program. The program is geared towards helping each child develop habits of observation, questioning, listening, and an awareness of feelings. The curriculum focuses on the right of each child to express those feelings in a positive manner by channeling them into appropriate means of expression. Each child learns to make choices for him/herself and begins to develop an understanding of the world. An open-ended program such as ours prepares children to utilize their intellectual and creative abilities in future learning tasks and decisions. Each child learns at a different rate in a different way...but every day is a day of learning because the program is tailored to fit each child (not the other way around)!
The Preschool Fours Program is a continuation and expansion of the Preschool Threes Program. Children in the Preschool Fours Program attend four different specialists during the week - Music, American Sign Language, Technology, and Physical Education. Classroom work emphasizes the broadening of peer interactions, the lengthening of his/her attention span, the expansion of creative horizons and the development of close bonds with the teacher. The children work both independently and on group projects to encourage team-building skills. Teachers also emphasize letter recognition, counting, writing, and patterning.
The classroom is composed of different activity centers that allow children to express themselves and freely explore the world around them. Activity centers are designed to provide maximum challenge and interest to each child’s body and mind. The classroom and teacher lead activities are also arranged to enable children to learn through both sensory and motor experiences.
Finding Out About Me.
The Discovery Program at World Academy is a is a comprehensive school year program that encourages higher level thinking skills for intellectual pursuit and fosters emotional, social, physical development while boosting a child's self-esteem. Purposefully designed for four year old children with fun, enriching and developmentally appropriate skills and concept-building pre-school experiences. Discovery offers young students a chance to explore a world of their own as they approach school age! Looking ahead to Kindergarten, students are building self-confidence, pursuing their curiousities and an working on their ability to interact and cooperate with peers. Days in the Discovery Program are busy as the students create friendships, explore curriculum through specialist classes, curriculum and the classroom's developmental activity centers. Discovery Fours classes meet Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 9am to 2:30pm. Child to teacher ratio is 12:1 and specialists include Music Class, Physical Education, Technology and American Sign Language.
The Next Step.
While a part of our Four Year Old Program, Emergent Kindergarten is a unique class for students prepared for a enhanced classroom environment that is a blend of our Preschool Fours and Kindergarten classes, yet still highly individualized per each student's unique growth and development. Emergent Kindergarten students are eager to learn, ready to take on independent tasks and seek academic challenges! The class is carefully planned to offer ample opportunities for students to both engage in cooperative play and begin to take academic instruction. In order to foster relationships and master foundational skills needed when pursuing future educational endeavors, the emerging curriculum supports investigation, motivates inquiry and curiosity, and develops the competencies of curriculum through the help of peers and educators. Through curriculum enrichment and strong development of our whole child philosophy the Emergent Kindergarten meets the developmental needs of each student and builds a foundation for educational success. Typically, Emergent Kindergarten students attend Kindergarten the following year. Enrollment in Emergent Kindergarten requires a minimum attendance of four days per week.
Some of the unique features of the World Academy's Four Year Old Programs are:
- The class is tailored to fit each child - individual student plans are created for each
- The entire program is designed to provide a sense of empowerment and independence
- Respect for others is encouraged in every Four Year Olds class
- Children participate in Physical Education Class, where activities are designed to refine gross and fine motor skills, build confidence and encourage a healthy lifestyle
- Children participate in Music Class that focuses on rhythm, beat, dancing, singing and developing a love of music!
- Children participate in Technology Class in our Mac Lab, where their classroom teacher reinforces concepts learned in the classroom while introducing early computer skills
- Field trips to local places of interest are much anticipated part of the curriculum
- Daily use of our well-planned, interesting and developmentally-appropriate playground exclusively for our Three and Four Year Old students
- 2 nutritious meals and 3 tasty snacks are provided daily (dependent upon selected schedule, with the exception of lunch on Fridays our school-wide "Brown Bag Day!")
- Flexible schedules - Choose 2, 3, 4 or 5 days to attend and one of four time brackets in Preschool Fours, Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9:00 am to 2:30pm in Discovery Fours, or four days a week and five different time brackets in Emergent Kindergarten